Monday, November 09, 2009

Roti Prata

Roti Prata is a pancake bread. This is a Singaporean and Malaysian (In Malaysia is it known as Roti Canai) Indian dish, an all time favorite suitable for breakfast, lunch, dinner or supper. Roti means bread in  Malay and Indian languages, while Prata means flat. Many Indian food outlets, serve not only plain prata or egg prata but many flavorings such as banana, chocolate, cheese, ice-cream, onion and a lot more. Roti prata is commonly served with curry or you can just have it with sugar, if you do not like curries.

After many unsuccessful attempts making roti prata, today, yess.. today, I managed to almost get it right. I need more practice to get that right texture and taste. It takes a lot of practice to be like a skilled prata man to transform the small, elastic dough ball into a paper-thin sheet prata. I don't think I can easily master the flipping and throwing part.. haha.. I found this roti prata recipe online. It was simple and easy to follow. Thanks Mama FaMi for posting the recipe. :)

Roti Prata/Roti Canai ( Mr. Niceghost33 from forum cari. com. my)

3 cups flour
1-1/2 cups water
1 tbsp margarine (I used butter)
salt to taste
2 tbsp condensed milk
1 tbsp cooking oil
extra margarine
  1. Mix water, salt and condensed milk.
  2. Sift the flour in a large bowl and make a well in the center. Add the liquid mixture bit by bit if kneading manually or pour the whole amount into the flour if using machine.
  3. Then add the cooking oil and margarine.
  4. Knead to form a soft dough. Leave it covered with a damp cloth for 30 minutes.
  5. Divide the dough into 10 portions and mold into balls.
  6. Coat the balls all over with margarine so that the dough won't stick to each other. Leave to rest for 2 hours (minimum).
  7. Spread one ball at a time on a smooth greased surface to form a very thin layer. Fold the four sides into the middle, flatten and fry on a hot pan with a little bit of oil. ( The picture above is not a flatten roti prata with folded sides. What I did was.... flatten the dough, pull the sides to get a thinner sheet, then rolled or bring the sides to the center to form a long dough, hold upwards and swirl the dough and flatten it again.) 
You can also check out Mama FaMi website for this recipe and step by step pics for Roti Prata. Since, I have to wait a few hours for the dough to rest, I should make more roti prata, save it in the freezer for future bites.. hehe.. I had this roti prata with fish curry. I will post on the fish curry tomorrow. :-)

Enjoy!!! ♥♥♥


here some kuih I made last Sunday. Made them in the morning to have them for lunch......

11 comments:

http://www.sahmsite.info said...

OMG!!! This looks so much like the real thing. Did it taste as good? How close to the real thing?

lilmizlynn said...

Thanks. They were good, much better than the ones I made before.. but I think I didn't add enough salt or I didn't mixed it well with the liquids. I would say about 75% close to the real thing.. LOL!!

Vivian said...

I wanna live nearby you. I haven't eaten Malaysian food (not at all) for almost a year =(

lilmizlynn said...

Vivian, it would be nice if we stay close.. You can come over anytime to eat Singapore and Malaysian food at my place. :)

Za said...

i tried the recipe from Mamafami's blog and used buttr butter I think something went wrong. I couldn't stretch it thin. It kept breaking. Was the butter soft when u added it? or room temperature? And after 2 hours, did the dough rise? or change in any way? And yeah...I think it needs a little bit more salt:)

Thanks Lynn...I wanna try it again InsyaAllah.

lilmizlynn said...

Hi Za, sorry to hear it went wrong. I let the butter turned soft in the room temperature. I do not remember if the dough changes after 2 hrs. I have not make any prata since Nov last year.. Insyallah, I will make a new batch next week and let you know again, yeah. :)

Za said...

Thanks Lynn....:) I think I'll try it again as well and see what happens. Luckily they weren't inedible...hehehe...it was a wrestling match though!

lilmizlynn said...

Za, we just ate my fresh pratas. They were soft and I also managed to make roti prata telur.. I so happy.. LoL!!
Ok, using MamaFami's recipe, I made the dough last night, leave it for 30mins, then made into 10 balls and leave it in the refrigerator overnight. The dough did not change or rise at all. When I spread the dough, my center did not break but the edges did a little. I, too, had the same problem earlier.. but practice makes perfect. Let me know how yours turn out. Keep me posted. :))

Za said...

I finally made prata successfully 2 days ago. I used the recipe from here http://www.salkkaaram.com/2008/01/malaysian-porotta-roti-canai.html

Turned out great! And I added sardine filling. And this one doesn't use butter so maybe a little easier on the health. hehehe...

Thanks for keeping in mind when u made that batch of pratas!!

lilmizlynn said...

Great! I'm gonna use the recipe from that website and give it a try.. ;)

AJ@Kampong said...

Yay! Looks yummy. I would want to try this at home. Thank you for sharing your Roti Prata food experience. ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...