Sunday, November 22, 2009

Lunch invitation and Battered French Fries



We were invited to eat deer meat at our friend's house. I don't think I ever had deer meat before. Although the deer meat was a little tough, some of it I can shred it with my fork and dip my rolls in it. I also like the chicken and the coleslaw. Excellent!!!! I wanted to take pictures of the deer meat but I was like so hungry, cant wait to eat, only managed to get a few pics on my plate after a few bites.. hehe.. Whenever, we were invited to have lunch or dinner over at our friend's place, they never disappoint us with their cooking. It's always yummy!!!!

After lunch, we played corn toss game at the yard. They said I am getting better at the game, even though I only a beginner. I never knew this game ever exist  until I came to this town. Corn toss is quite a popular game in this area. My partner and I, won 2 games but my hubby and his partner lose in all the games... It don't matter whether we win or lose, what matters most is that we had a great, fun time with good friends. :)

When we reached home at night, we were little hungry, so I prepared something easy and fast.. French fries.. I don't want to just have ordinary French Fries, something simple yet a little fancy with some dips. I made some dips; Aioli and Herb Mayo (Aioli is classic French garlic mayonnaise which is particularly good served with French Fries.. It was yummy...

Battered French Fries with Aioli and Herb Mayo


Left dip: Herb Mayonnaise, Right dip: Aioli

Ingredients:
4-5 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced 

Batter:
1 cup self-rising flour
1/2 tsp chilli powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
water to mix

Combine flour, chilli powder and baking soda in a bowl. Whisk in sufficient water to make a smooth batter. Dip the sliced potatoes into batter. Fry in hot oil until golden brown and drain on paper towels. To serve, arrange fries on a platter with the dips. 

Dips
Aioli
4-5 tbsp Mayonnaise
1 garlic
1 egg yolk

Put all the ingredients in the food processor.

Herb Mayo
4-5 tbsp Mayonnaise
handful of cilantro, basil, parsley, tarragon - finely chop

Stir the herbs into the mayonnaise.

Notes:
  • You can add salt to taste in the batter but without salt is also as good.
  • For Aioli, instead of using the food processor, finely mince/pound the garlic. In a bowl, whisk all the ingredients together.
  • Leftover dips, keep in the refrigerator.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...