Monday, November 02, 2009

Fried Bee Hoon


I miss eating mee or bee hoon goreng mama. They are simply Fried Noodles. The word mama refers to Indian  man. So whenever, we say mee goreng  mama, it refers to the Indian Fried Noodles. I have eaten the worst mee goreng mama and the best mee goreng mama. I like the mee goreng mama at Beach Road. For $2.50 or $3.00 (cant remember the cost) per plate, you get  your noodles with ground mutton, diced potatoes, vegetables and maybe some diced tofu in your noodles. At some other places, you just get noodles with vegetables. Yucks!
 

My mom always have a tub of blended onions, garlic and chillies in the refrigerator. They come in handy when she  wants to cook fried rice or noodles and some other dishes. Here, in TN, I do the same thing too.  I made a  tub of onion, garlic and ginger and another tub of onion, garlic and chilli. I saw a chilli paste with soy bean oil at Wang's Asian store in Nashville and got 1 bottle to see if its any good. Oh my.. they are simply delicious. Its mild hot but to me, its not even hot at all. I love the taste with the crunchy shrimp and fish in the paste. The chilli paste has been cooked and you can use it as a sandwich spread. I am getting more bottles when I go to Wang's again. :)

Recently, I found a website "Welcome To Rozzan's Shared Recipes" that have a recipe to make the mama's sambal. I am sure to make the sambal so I can have my very own mee goreng mama.. hehe.. :)

My style Fried Bee Hoon
Serves 2

Ingredients
215g Bee Hoon (Soak the dry bee hoon in hot water first to soften.)
1 tbsp of my blended onions,garlic and ginger (U can use 1 small onion, diced for this recipe)
1 green chilli - thinly sliced
Cabbage - shredded (about a handful)
1 potatoes - diced and boiled
1 tomato - diced
3/4 cup ground cooked beef
1 egg
Salt to taste
2 tbsp of vegetable oil

I mixed these together for my sambal 
2 tbsp chilli paste
1 tbsp light soy sauce
1 tbsp dark soy sauce
1 tsp vinegar
1 tbsp tomato ketchup
  1. Heat pan, add oil and fry onion for a few minutes, then the green chilli and cabbage. 
  2. Add sambal, tomato, ground beef, potato and salt. Then add the noodles. Stir until all well combined. 
  3. Make a hole in the center and break the egg. Let the egg half cook before mix together with the noodles. 
  4. Once all well mixed, turn off heat. 
  5. Serve with fried egg, slices of cucumber and chilli/tomato sauce.
Notes:
  • It is much easier to use a wok than large pan. (it is little messy using a large pan coz I do not have a wok here)
  • Cook the egg first in a smaller pan, scramble, half cook and let it aside before adding to the noodles.
  • If want your fried noodles to be slightly wet, pour some water (1/2 cup) to the noodles before turning off the heat.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...