Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Indonesian Prawn Salad

I have this 200 Delicious Low Fat Dishes Cookbook given to me by my little sister last year. Wondering why low fat??? She said I will gain a lot weight when I'm away so that is why she got me this low fat cookbook.. haha..

I have not tried any of the recipes since I got this book. So tonight's dinner, I whipped up something from this cookbook. After  checking through the recipes, I decided to go for Indonesian Prawn Salad. It does not take very long; preparation and cooking time only takes 25 minutes altogether. I really like the pickled cucumber. I used the potato peeler to slice the cucumber thinly.  My omelette is a disaster. Please excuse the ugly omelette strips.. I had this salad as a main dish for my dinner but hub had this salad with his main dish. Overall, we both enjoyed this salad. :)) 

Indonesian Prawn Salad (adapted from 200 low fat dishes  ~ hamlyn all colour cookbook)

Ingredients:
4 oz (125g) rice noodles (I used cellophane noodles instead)
2-1/2 oz (65g) cucumber, thinly sliced
2 tbsp rice vinegar
2 tbsp caster sugar
1 egg, beaten
oil spray
4 shallots, sliced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tsp grated fresh root ginger
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tbsp Thai fish sauce
8 oz (250g) cooked peeled prawns
1 tbsp soy sauce
salt

To serve:
fresh coriander leaves
prawn crakers 
chopped roasted peanuts
2 spring onions, finely sliced

my additional:
fresh lime
chilli flakes

Cook the noodles according to the instructions on the packet. Drain, rinse well and set aside.
Pickle the cucumber in equal quantities of rice vinegar and sugar for 5 minutes, drain and set aside.
Mix egg and 3 tablespoons water. Spray a wok or large frying pan with il and, when it is quite hot, make a thin omelette with the egg mixture. Roll it up, leave to cool and cut into thin strips.
Combine the shallot, garlic, ginger and ground coriander in a large bowl. Add  some chopped coriander leaves, fish sauce, prawns and noodles and mix in, using 2 spoons to lift and stir, until they are thoroughly combines. Add the soy sauce, salt to taste. ((Squeeze 1 fresh lime.))
Transfer to a serving dish and serve with omelette strips, pickled cucumber, prawn crackers, chopped roasted peanuts, spring onions and a dash of chilli flakes. 


Notes:
  • In the original recipe, they added 2 peppers (chopped) and 2 red chillies (sliced). I have to omit these because, hub do not like peppers and chillies. 
  • The dish has a little fishy smell from the prawns so I squeezed 1 fresh lime and the smell went away..

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...