Thursday, September 03, 2009

German Pancake



I got this recipe from a friend a few years ago. He makes it really good but now I can't get to eat the one he makes anymore.. But no worries, good thing, I got the recipe from him. A German pancake is a cross between a souffle and an omelet. Since I love souffle and omelet, its a good combination. I love this pancake because its light, soft, airy and I can have my favorite fruits for the topping.. Simply lovely and delicious!


Ingredients
3 large eggs,
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup milk
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
2 tbsp butter

Topping Ideas
Strawberry, Blueberries, Grapes, Whipping cream, Applesauce, Maple syrup, Honey, Sifted powdered (confectioners) sugar

Preheat oven to 450 deg F. Place your cast-iron skillet on the middle rack of your oven until it gets hot and sizzling. ( I prefer to use cast-iron skillet, and I only have the 8-inch. If not you can use a large, heavy ovenproof frying pan.)

While the pan is heating in the oven, in a large bowl, whisk the eggs until light and frothy. Add flour and whisk until smooth; then add milk, vanilla extract (you can add a bit of cinnamon if you want to) and beat for another 5 mins. The batter will be thin, but very smooth and creamy.

Remove the hot skillet from the oven (remember to use a cloth or pot holder because the skillet is very hott). Add butter; tilting the pan to melt the butter and coat the skillet. Pour the prepared batter, into the hot skillet and immediately return the skillet to the oven.

Bake approx 20-25 mins or until puffed and golden brown (Do not worry when your pancake puff irregularly in the center).

Remove from the oven and serve immediately with your favorite toppings. (once out of the oven, the pancake will begin to deflate.)


This is how my hubby likes for breakfast... heehee!

Enjoy and have a great weekend!




No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...