Today is "Cook and Share a Pot of Curry 2012" event on FB. So I cooked chicken curry and shared with hubby. hehe.. The Curry Team have also created a new Curry page, check it out and LIKE them. =) I know I posted chicken curry recipes before but this is another version. The following recipe is a mixture from recipes that I collected. I changed and add just a bit here and there to suit my taste.
Here is our chicken curry with colorful roti jala. =)
1 whole chicken, cleaned & chopped into smaller pieces
3 potatoes, peeled & cubed
4 hard boiled eggs, peeled
1 cup coconut milk
3-4 cups water or chicken stock
4-5 tbsp curry powder
2 stalks lemongrass, light part & bruised
1-2 bulb shallot, peeled & slice thinly
8-10 curry leaves
2-3 tbsp ghee or cooking oil
1 tbsp fish sauce
a little sugar
salt to taste
Paste: To grind in the blender or use Mortar and pestle :
3 bulbs shallots, peeled
5 cloves garlic, peeled
3cm ginger, peeled
1-2 fresh red or green chilli (Omitted, cos if not, it will be too spicy for us)
- Mix curry powder with 2-3 tbsp of water to form a smooth paste.
- Heat ghee or cooking oil in a large pot, saute the paste mixture, curry leaves, lemongrass until fragrant, stirring constantly.
- Add the curry paste, sliced shallots and chicken pieces.
- Cook for 10 minutes to sear the mix.
- Add in water and potatoes. Covered and bring it to a boil.
- Then add the fish sauce, sugar (amount of sugar is how sweet you want but not too sweet) and salt to taste. Add hard boiled egg.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and cook, semi-covered until chicken and potatoes are done.
- Serve with roti jala or steamed rice.