Thursday, January 06, 2011

Mee Goreng (Fried Egg Noodles)

One of my favorite dishes is mee goreng mamak (fried egg noodle Indian style). I have been craving it for a long time. As I am unable to get soft yellow egg noodles in my area, I use spaghetti as a substitute and add shrimps. This is a simple one dish meal and taste great! Seriously, I can't wait to have one when I go back to Singapore. :)


Mee Goreng Mamak, adapted from Aneka Hidang Mi recipe book
Ingredients:
3 tbsp cooking oil (I used EVOO), divided
2 large eggs, beaten
1 onion, sliced thinly
3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
1 tbsp sambal oelek
1 green chilli, sliced (optional)
300g soft yellow egg noodles (I used spaghetti, cooked & drained)
1 potato, boiled, peeled, cut into small cubes
2 pieces fried tofu, cut into cubes 
some assorted vegetables (slices of cabbage, choy sam and mustard greens or some beans sprouts)
200gm cooked medium shrimps

Sauce:
1-2 tbsp tomato ketchup
1 tbsp kicap manis (sweet black sauce)
1 tbsp osyter sauce (you can use light soy sauce)

Garnish:
1 tomato, cut into small cubes
1 stalk of green onion, cut into small pieces
some fried shallots

Heat wok at medium high with 1 tbsp of oil. When wok is hot enough, add in the beaten eggs, fry as scramble eggs (do not overcook the eggs), then dish out and set aside. 
In the same wok on high heat, add the remaining oil and fry the onion and garlic until fragrant. Add sambal oelek, sliced chillies and noodles*. Add tomato ketchup, sweet black sauce and oyster sauce, stir for 1 minute. Add scramble eggs, potato, fried tofu, vegetables and shrimps. Mix all ingredients well. Keep stirring for about 5 minutes. Dish out and served hot. Garnish with diced tomatoes, chopped green onions and fried shallots.


Notes:
* I prefer to fry my eggs first then add to the dish. But you can forgo this step; after you add the noodles, add a little bit more oil and create an empty space in the center. Add the beaten eggs and mix together with the noodles...
- Also this dish is not from India, it is created by Indian-Muslim in Singapore/Malaysia. :)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...