Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Easy Homemade Bread


I love the smell of fresh bread from the oven. It just made me impatient for a fresh slice of buttered bread.. Yum! YuM!! But today, something is not right with my sense of smell.. I cannot smell it. I was waiting for it but it never come.. My hubby came back home from work just a few minutes after I took the bread out of the oven. He was standing by the front door and asked "you baked?" I replied, "yes, I did." He said fresh bread without even going to the kitchen and I was like how did you know, I cant smell it. All I smell was from the silicone loaf pan.. haha..

I do not have a mixer stand to help me so I had to use a large bowl and a wooden spoon. How about bread machine?? I am not sure about bread machine, right now, I'm happy to bake the bread from the oven. Well, maybe in the future but all these appliances are in my wish-list.. *wink-wink* hehe... 

After much research on making homemade fresh bread, I found the recipe and the method below is the best. The thing I like this recipe, is that its easy, you do not have to spend a lot of time. Even my hubby prefers  homemade fresh bread than the ones we get from the store. Next time, I'll be able to add a variety of interesting ingredients to create a unique and flavorful breads. Thanks to Oliviaskitchen for this easy recipe.

Ingredients:
600g strong white bread flour 
1 pkg (7g) dry yeast
1 tsp brown sugar
2 tsp salt
400ml lukewarm water
3 tbsp melted butter

In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients. Slowly add the lukewarm water about 300ml (you might not need all 400ml) and melted butter. (you'll know when you added the right amount of water, all the flour will come together). Stir until there is no loose flour and not too wet. Then on a floured surface, knead the dough by forming a fist and push the dough away and bring it back for about 5 minutes. Put the dough in a loaf tin or divide into small rolls. Cover with a clean tea towel and leave to rise in a warm place for approx 1 hour, or until the dough has doubled the size. Bake in the preheated oven 400 degrees F for 30 minutes.

Notes: 
  • If the dough is too wet, add a little bit more of flour and  if the dough is too dry, add a little bit more of water.
  • For crusty bread, store it in a brown paper bag or let it just sit on the counter. Don't use a plastic wrap because it will soften the crust and preserve the moist interior.
  • If the bread goes stale, moisten the outside with water, use a spray bottle or sprinkling it with your hands. Heat it in a 400 degrees F preheated oven for about 15 minutes.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...