Friday, July 18, 2008

First birthday cake!

It was the twins' birthday (July 17) and I have been thinking of baking a birthday cake for over a week. I had never make a birthday cake before. I never been to a decorating cake class. No training and no practice. I enjoy baking and I want to learn from my mistakes if it turned out to be bad!

When I looked at the cake books, I thought, "hey I can do that, its easy. Just bake the cake, add the filling, do crumb coating, smoothing the icing and decorate.. GOSH! It was not easy as I thought it would be, specially when you do not have the proper tools... I do not have a SPATULA here! LOL!! The only place in this small town is at Walmart but they sold out! For my first cake, I had to use the normal knife... :( I think the buttercream icing was a little too much on the cake! hehe.

The Well-decorated cake book also has helped me a lot thru the process of making my first cake... I duno what will happen to the cake if I do have that book in hand. ahahah.. I also cooked some Indian food, Chicken in Green Masala Sauce and Tricolor Pulao (photos taken not very good). I will post the recipe soon! Anyhoo, I'm so glad that everyone said my food and my cake were delicious! Glad that everyone enjoyed it as much as I did! :)

Custard curd-for the fillings

I used the yellow moist cake.

Crumb coating

The cake is almost done. In the center I used the cream cheese frosting to put happy birthday to Mick & Rick!

Inside of the cake.


The remaining crumbs, I decided to mix with some cream cheese frosting, shape it and decorated with some frosting..

So you see the photos, what do you think of the my first birthday cake! :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice Job!

lilmizlynn said...

Thanks Marye. :)

Anonymous said...

You did a great job with your cake! I understand it was your children's bday? Happy b-day to them!

BTW, you have an award waiting for you on my blog. Check it out:)

lilmizlynn said...

Thanks, Farida. No kids yet. Im engaged to a wonderful man.. :) The cake was for our close frens and they are twins.

I have to check it out... :) thanks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...