Friday, March 19, 2010

Classic corned beef and cabbage, carrots and potatoes....



When hubs came home, I saw plastic bags at the front door. He went to the supermarket (..without me...) after work. He said we are having corned beef tonight. I wasn't planning on having corned beef tonight but since he said it, I just agreed. Hubs is part Irish and he said this traditional Irish dish that is normally served on St. Patrick's Day and it is delicious.  (we had a belated St. Patrick's Day food... Lol...) As you know, what he likes may not be what I like so I was like okay, I give it a try... I suggested that he'll do the cooking tonight while I clean up the other room. Then the smell of corned beef and cabbage coming from the kitchen was fantastic but it's like taking forever to cook. By the time, it was done, I was so hungry. Well,  it was not bad as I thought it would be. It's lovely to have one dish associated with a day.. Kudos to hubs. Thumbs up!!! Love ya!

Ingredients:

3 pounds corned beef brisket with spice packet
10 small potatoes
5 carrots, peeled
1 large head cabbage, cut into wedges

Place corned beef in large pot or Dutch oven and cover with water. Add the spice packet that came with the corned beef. Cover pot and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Simmer approximately 50 minutes per pound or until tender.

Add whole potatoes and carrots, and cook until the vegetables are almost tender. Add cabbage and cook for 15 more minutes. Remove meat and let rest 15 minutes. 

Place vegetables in a bowl and cover. Add as much broth (cooking liquid reserved in the Dutch oven or large pot) as you want. Slice meat across the grain.  


 Enjoy and have a great weekend all. ♥♥

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...