No cake is complete without a frosting. Even if you use from the cake mix recipe. I made a simple lemon cream cheese frosting for my golden butter cake. The result was sweet, tangy, and delectable. It was fantastic!
Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 (8 ounces) package cream cheese
- 1/4 butter, softened
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
Beat cream cheese and butter. Then add lemon juice, lemon zest, and vanilla extract together until smooth and fluffy. Add confectioners' sugar gradually until finish; beat until creamy. Add more icing sugar or juice as needed for easy spreading.
- Use fresh lemon and squeeze the juice out, much better than using lemon extract only.
- It is very important that the frosting be the proper consistency so it spreads easily over the baked good, yet at the same time adheres to the surface.
- Never frost a cake or other pastry that is still warm as the frosting will melt into the baked good or become too thin and run.